I am perhaps absurdly excited about this project. I love mixing colorful prints with plain linen and there was an unusual element to it that I’d never worked with before (reptile litter!). It also took less than an hour to make, and it solves a problem. So really, it’s the perfect project. Thanks to Noodlehead for posting her completed pincushion and for sending me to the Green Bee blog for the free pattern!
While using the sewing machine, I have a tendency to pick pins out before they go under the foot. This typically results in pins landing haphazardly on my desk or on the floor. With this terrific little guy sitting in front, I can now stick recently removed pins safely out of the way. I don’t plan on storing pins in it long term — I’ll have to make something else filled with reptile litter for that, but it’s nice to have a fun little completed project to greet me as I sit down to sew.
This 5 quart bag of reptile litter was less than $5 at the local pet store. The key is to find a litter that is ground walnut shells, as it helps keep the pins sharp. I also like that it adds weight to the pincushion.
Project notes: The pattern says to leave an opening on the long side seam for turning and stuffing. If you plan on using the ground walnut shells, I'd recommend leaving one end open instead, as it's easier to use a funnel to fill it with litter. I used a small wad of stuffing at the opening on top of the litter. This helped pack it more tightly and kept the litter from falling out as I blind stitched the opening closed. Also, because reptile litter is 'for animals,' Annabel thought it might be appetizing. I managed to intervene, but... just sayin'.
To see the Zakka-style pincushions I handprinted and filled with reptile litter, please go here.