It's been a while since I've made something not associated with a deadline — just a project that I want to do in between everything else. From time to time Lu Summers sells packs of hand printed scraps in her Etsy shop and I've had two packs sitting untouched for a while. The bottom fabric was a recent purchase from Miss Matabi. It's yarn dyed sashiko-embroidered cotton and I felt it went well with the hand printed linens.
Since it's now November and I've pulled my knitting out, I wanted to make a knitting bag that is sturdy and stays open. I decided on using the Tessa Basket pattern; the only change I made was to add a few inches to the height. After reading a few reviews from people who have used the pattern, it seemed as though the verdict was to add a layer of interfacing (SF101, for example) instead of using Fusible Fleece alone. After I'd already fused my Fusible Fleece to the front and back panels and quilted it, Pellon kindly sent me some fusible Flex Foam to play with. Of course I had to stick it in here, as I'd been dying to play with it.
I used the one-sided fusible Flex Foam, and although I don't know if I'd use it in conjunction with Fusible Fleece again—it was a bit puffy to wrangle through the machine, particularly when dealing with the lining—I will definitely be finding other uses for it! The basket is soft yet holds its shape well.
This yarn was recently purchased on a trip to Gather Here. When I finish knitting my Hitchhiker scarf, I'll be balling up these skeins and starting something new. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with my non-deadline, just-because-I-felt-like-it project. :)